Skip to main content

Week 2

Topic 1: 
I signed up for Twitter this week and decided to follow Ellen DeGeneres, The Washington Post and Bernie Sanders. I chose Ellen DeGeneres because to me she is a wonderful role model for all people and she is very inspiring. I enjoy watching her television show and I find her funny so I thought she would be a great person to start following. I chose The Washington Post because even though I do not like to get into political debates with my peers I do like to keep up to date on what is happening in our government. I then chose to follow Bernie Sanders because I wanted to understand more of what he was about when he was running for presidency.

The best tweet I have seen so far would be from Ellen that had an adorable picture of twin baby girls with the caption,"I believe children are our future." I really enjoyed this because I couldn't agree more. I absolutely adore children and I see them as the future of our nation and our future families. They are so important.

I wouldn't say that social media has made me feel more empowered as far as politics go or the ability to take action. I see social media as being extremely bias based on the people that we choose to follow or be friends with. I don't feel the need to use social media as much for political use as just to keep in touch with some old friends. As far as politics go I find it to be extremely one way or the other and just people fighting through a screen. When people are using social media they manage to say whatever they want however they want without repercussion but if what was said on social media was actually said in real life then it would cause so many problems.

Topic 2: 
While I was watching Sherry's TED talk I realized that I was able to relate to many of the things she was saying. When she said that she encountered someone who told her they would rather text than talk, I found myself thinking, "well yeah, who wouldn't?" And it dawned on me that I too have become so reliant on technology as forms of communication. Many people in my generation and the one after mine have become so connected to each other via social media it is almost invasive what people put out onto the web. I find it crazy to think that so much is shared but I also find myself questioning how much of it is true. I also find it interesting when Sherry was describing how we don't feel like people are listening to us thus, we revert to social media to let out our thoughts and stories. I find it interesting because I believe that people are not listening due to the fact of being so attached to social media and the convenience of it.

On my own cell phone I have 2 games and 3 social media apps. I really enjoy playing pokemon go honestly. I really enjoy walking around the town and being able to socialize and compete with my friends for who can catch more and learn more about the pokemon. It also gives me a nostalgic feeling since pokemon is something I played when I was a kid.

I would say that I spend way too much time on social media and gaming during the week, if I had to guess that would be at least 72 hours in a week. I feel like I am part of the Pokemon go community since I will actually get with a group of friends and go driving around to find battles and rare pokemon. I would describe the pokemon community as a friendly competition. It is a fun way to compare pokemon and what we are able to find in certain places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9

Topic 1: 1. When I was younger my mom actually tried to stop me from hearing any kind of rap music because it was a bad influence for a child. It was weird for me because that was the only kind of music my brother actually listened to so when he got in the car from school and changed our country radio station to hip hop and rap my mom would have me cover my ears or put my head phones in from my walkman. Since my mom didn't want me listening to rap or hip hop I grew up listening to mainly country and 80's styled music with my mom and when my dad was home from work I would listen to 50's doowop music. 2. I felt very sheltered because I didn't really think anything of hiphop and rap music. I couldn't really not hear it since my brother's room was next to mine and he would have it full blast everyday but as I got older I listened to it more and now I understand what my mom was doing but at the time I thought it was unfair that my brother could listen to that kind

Week 5

Topic 1: My concern for copyright or limits on creativity is how can people have the freedom to be creative and use others work as examples or inspiration without it interfering with the copyright laws? I find it to be difficult for many people who use materials as inspiration to not be put in a binding position. They tend to list what they used as inspiration or discuss it and they always have to make it clear that they do not own the rights to anything. To me that is troubling to have to go through every time a person wants to be creative. To me I think that politicians go too far when exercising freedom of press since during their candidacies they tend to dig up every negative possible thing about their competitor they possibly can and they put it out to the public only to better themselves. (Unfortunately was not able to finish)

Week 8

Topic 1: When reviewing the list of challenged and removed books, I was shocked to see Captain Underpants, and Scary Stories on the list. I grew up reading Captain Underpants and even as an adult I don't understand the problem with that book. As far as Scary Stories go I was shocked because of the fact that I don't see that as a problem either. I think of the book series as one that many families read together and are able to use as campfire stories. I don't see Scary Stories as any worse than Goosebumps, which was not on the list. As I continued through the list I was able to understand why Fifty Shades of Grey could be challenged. I have read that as an adult and I would not want my child reading that at a younger age. I was again shocked to see Little Bill (series) on the list for the only reason that there are allegations against the author. The series itself has nothing to do with the authors personal life, it is something that children are able to relate to. I watche