Skip to main content

Blog Project #2: Media Product Review

Hey All! This week I am going to be talking about music. To be more specific I am going to be talking about a YouTuber named Jonathan Young. Let me introduce what he does.
Intro:
Jonathan Young is a YouTuber that does covers of music, but not just singing it on his own as the songs are originally written. He does complete renditions of the songs he and his followers choose. He takes a song from one genre and is able to give it such a twist it now belongs to a different genre of music. For instance the song I will be talking about is his newest released video, "Immortals" by Fallout Boy. (Jonathan Young "Immortals") Fallout Boy would fall under the punk genre of music, but once Jonathan does what he does best, it now can be considered a pop song. I chose to talk about Jonathan's cover of "Immortals" because the song is from the movie Big Hero 6. I am a big fan of the movie and what it stands for. What Jonathan does is he takes most any Disney song and he transforms it. That is his biggest selling point. Literally even, he has cd's for sale of his covers of Disney songs. He makes his music stand out for the quality of his voice, the actually music videos he creates with the new rendition of the song, and the fact that he takes beloved Disney classic songs and turns them into something you never want to turn off.
Describe:
As far as describing Jonathan goes I may sound like a fan, which I am. He is very talented in the music industry. He has been on YouTube since September 27, 2012 and he has 610,069 subscribers and 112,898,683 total views since his first day. (https://www.youtube.com/user/jonathanyoungmusic/about) He is an independent music artist with many talents, he does have a few songs that he has written, and he produces all of his own videos. He is located in St. Paul, Minnesota. (Jonathan's Facebook Page and Bio) Jonathan has done a cover of Backstreet Boy "Larger than Life" and turned it Metal. He covered Taylor Swift's song, "22" and turned it punk. He has covered Disney classics such as Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and Jungle Book (just to list a few). His first video he ever put out on youtube dates to June 1, 2013 and is an original Jonathan Young song called "If This Ship Sinks" If This Ship Sinks.
Analyze:
It isn't hard for me to analyze Jonathan. I listen to his music daily in the first place so being able to go back and view his original work from the beginning is amazing. When looking at "Immortals" and comparing the video to one of his own original pieces of music such as "If This Ship Sinks" it is easy to see how much he has grown and developed as a true artist. Immortals is like several of his other songs because of the fact that he has done covers of other punk songs and turned them pop and vice versa. He does a great job at being able to take one genre and transform it into the total opposite. Such as he did with the song "Poor Unfortunate Souls" from The Little Mermaid and he turned it Metal. (Poor Unfortunate Souls)
Interpretation:
I think that this kind of music is extremely important in today's society. Music is such a huge outlet of self expression and creativity. With how Jonathan turns some songs to a different genre it can make it more enjoyable for some listeners and even more relateable for them. I personally think that stereotypes are almost impossible to find with his videos because of the fact that he touches on so many different genres of music. He does not stay on one side of the music spectrum. I get the feeling that the targeted audience is millennials since they are the ones that grew up listening to the  music that he does covers of.
Evaluation:
I personally do not find a weakness in Jonathan's music. I do see that his strengths are the ability to grow with his music and his ability to accommodate to a larger audience. The music videos are well created and he is able to work with others in collaboration to create his music. In the "Immortals" cover he collaborates with another youtubet by the name of Jordan Sweeto. His ability to work with others is a good sign because he is then able to expand his viewer base and hopefully get even further with his career. I find his music extremely memorable, I usually listen to him at least once a day and i end up singing his covers while at work or on my own.
Engage:
Before doing this post on Jonathan I was a big fan already and enjoyed listening to his music. Now that I have done more research on how far he has come I am in the process of buying his Disney cover CD's and merchandise. I also now follow him on Facebook where before I did not. My boyfriend was the one to actually introduce me to Jonathan's music and I now share it with my family since they all love Disney as well. When I was reading the comments on his videos it seemed as though there were only positive comments and support for his music.
Wrapping it up:
With doing this post and research I learned more about where Jonathan started and that he has his own original music and not just covers. I strongly encourage people to look him up on YouTube and see what he has to offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9

Topic 1: 1. When I was younger my mom actually tried to stop me from hearing any kind of rap music because it was a bad influence for a child. It was weird for me because that was the only kind of music my brother actually listened to so when he got in the car from school and changed our country radio station to hip hop and rap my mom would have me cover my ears or put my head phones in from my walkman. Since my mom didn't want me listening to rap or hip hop I grew up listening to mainly country and 80's styled music with my mom and when my dad was home from work I would listen to 50's doowop music. 2. I felt very sheltered because I didn't really think anything of hiphop and rap music. I couldn't really not hear it since my brother's room was next to mine and he would have it full blast everyday but as I got older I listened to it more and now I understand what my mom was doing but at the time I thought it was unfair that my brother could listen to that kind

Week 5

Topic 1: My concern for copyright or limits on creativity is how can people have the freedom to be creative and use others work as examples or inspiration without it interfering with the copyright laws? I find it to be difficult for many people who use materials as inspiration to not be put in a binding position. They tend to list what they used as inspiration or discuss it and they always have to make it clear that they do not own the rights to anything. To me that is troubling to have to go through every time a person wants to be creative. To me I think that politicians go too far when exercising freedom of press since during their candidacies they tend to dig up every negative possible thing about their competitor they possibly can and they put it out to the public only to better themselves. (Unfortunately was not able to finish)

Week 8

Topic 1: When reviewing the list of challenged and removed books, I was shocked to see Captain Underpants, and Scary Stories on the list. I grew up reading Captain Underpants and even as an adult I don't understand the problem with that book. As far as Scary Stories go I was shocked because of the fact that I don't see that as a problem either. I think of the book series as one that many families read together and are able to use as campfire stories. I don't see Scary Stories as any worse than Goosebumps, which was not on the list. As I continued through the list I was able to understand why Fifty Shades of Grey could be challenged. I have read that as an adult and I would not want my child reading that at a younger age. I was again shocked to see Little Bill (series) on the list for the only reason that there are allegations against the author. The series itself has nothing to do with the authors personal life, it is something that children are able to relate to. I watche