Skip to main content

Blog Project #1

I chose to use topic #2 about television. I chose to use an episode of Fuller House on Netflix. I chose this because it is a spin off of one of my favorite childhood shows, Full House. I watched Episode 11 of season 2, "DJ and Kimmy's High School Reunion". I watched it on Wednesday July 19. This series falls under the category of situation comedy. The main characters are DJ, Stephanie, Kimmy Gibbler, and their three kids. The episode mainly takes place at DJ and Kimmy's 20 year high school reunion. It bounces between the high school and home where Stephanie is babysitting the kids. At the reunion Kimmy has an embarrassing moment like she did while in high school during her senior year. DJ is having conflicting emotions about her love triangle she has with her old boyfriend and her current boyfriend. At home with Stephanie she is trying to explain and show that all the kids are special in their own ways and that grades in school do not define you as a person. According to Vanity Fair, "Fuller House finds a limit, a border, of this current TV nostalgia era." (Vanity Fair). Candace (DJ) now has not been as active in the spotlight since she was young but with the recent series starting up she has been on Dancing with the Stars, Make it or Break it, and was even a host on The View (People Celebrity). She took time off from acting to focus on her family before she came back for the series.
http://people.com/celebrity/fuller-house-full-house-cast-then-and-now/candace-cameron-bure
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/02/fuller-house-netflix-review

When I watched the episode I feel like it really reflected how kids are today and definitely how young parents act. When seeing how the kids dress I am able to relate it to the kids that I see in schools and to my own younger cousins and how they dress. I am also able to relate how they act towards one another. For example in the episode the younger brother points out what the big brother did wrong and got him in trouble, which is very common for siblings to do to one another in every family. As far as the young parents go it is easy to notice that they dress more hip and not so obviously a mother. They also seem to act more as a friend to the kids and not as bossy or in charge. There is not a huge gap in how they dress either. They tend to dress similar to teenagers or those in their twenties. Fuller House is pretty similar to several shows that have recently aired such as Girl Meets World which is a spin off of Boy Meets World from the 1990's. It is similar because it is taking a 90's show and turning it into a show that continues from where the 90's left off. They are showing what happened when we thought it was over. Fuller house is Different because it gives their characters a change that was not expected. Everyone of course had their own depiction of Steve and DJ being married with kids and yet they are not together, only friends and DJ is a widowed mother. The show really creates a welcoming atmosphere for its viewers but also one to grab the attention of those who grew up watching it.

I did not notice any stereotypes in the one episode that I watched. I think that the producers avoid stereotypes in order to show people that they are not needed. In the original show Full House there were no stereotypes as well, as far as I can remember at least. I think that the targeted audience is between the ages of 17- 30 because they are at the same points in their lives as DJ, Stephanie, and Kimmy. They are able to relate the most to the show and almost understand how to handle certain situations. I also feel like that is the age of the kids that once watched Full House and where they are now in their own lives.

I think the shows biggest strength is how easy it is to relate to it for its viewers. They manage to bring in common real world problems and show the struggles of how to get through them as well as how many options people have to get through it. For example Kimmy finds herself in an embarrassing situation at their high school reunion and at first decides to run and hide from everyone to avoid it but once she talks to her old friend Dwayne she realizes that she is still able to make the best of the night and not let the one situation get the best of her. This is something that everyone is able to relate to because we have all been in a situation that we wish we could just tuck away and hide from but eventually we have to face it and move on. The show is very much a depiction of real life and what actually occurs day to day. One thing I really enjoy about the show is that they are using the original cast from Full House and not trying to fill spaces with look-a-likes. They keep the show very genuine and easy to follow.

I have not watched this show regularly but I watched Full House as a kid and I loved it. I may start from the beginning now that I have a taste for the series and its content.  I do follow the cast and the series on social media platforms such as Instagram. I found out about the series becoming a reality via social media since I followed John Stamos, AKA Uncle Jesse. The show is on Instagram and Twitter and Facebook. I have noticed that they use Instagram to share small amounts of information about the upcoming episodes and they try to pull in the viewers to see what happens. It seems to work since they are working on airing season 3.

I learned that this show makes many references to the past and really ties in the loose ends of Full House as well as bring in new stories of the "present" life of the characters. I learned that the characters stayed in touch after Full House and continued to stay close through the years. I was shocked to see that Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (Michelle) did not continue to make this series with everyone else. They were the only ones who did not wish to continue. It is sad but I have read on social media that they create a reason in the show so now I am tempted to find out why. This project has given me a reason to watch a new show.

Image result for fuller house

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9

Topic 1: 1. When I was younger my mom actually tried to stop me from hearing any kind of rap music because it was a bad influence for a child. It was weird for me because that was the only kind of music my brother actually listened to so when he got in the car from school and changed our country radio station to hip hop and rap my mom would have me cover my ears or put my head phones in from my walkman. Since my mom didn't want me listening to rap or hip hop I grew up listening to mainly country and 80's styled music with my mom and when my dad was home from work I would listen to 50's doowop music. 2. I felt very sheltered because I didn't really think anything of hiphop and rap music. I couldn't really not hear it since my brother's room was next to mine and he would have it full blast everyday but as I got older I listened to it more and now I understand what my mom was doing but at the time I thought it was unfair that my brother could listen to that kind

Week 5

Topic 1: My concern for copyright or limits on creativity is how can people have the freedom to be creative and use others work as examples or inspiration without it interfering with the copyright laws? I find it to be difficult for many people who use materials as inspiration to not be put in a binding position. They tend to list what they used as inspiration or discuss it and they always have to make it clear that they do not own the rights to anything. To me that is troubling to have to go through every time a person wants to be creative. To me I think that politicians go too far when exercising freedom of press since during their candidacies they tend to dig up every negative possible thing about their competitor they possibly can and they put it out to the public only to better themselves. (Unfortunately was not able to finish)

Week 1

Topic 1:  My Major is Human Development and Family Sciences. I am duel enrolled at LBCC and OSU. I plan on becoming a teacher for kindergarten. I chose to be a teacher when I was very young and I have stuck with it ever since. I am very interested in learning why we choose to share so much of our lives on social media platforms and what has made us so vulnerable or so competent from behind a screen. I am passionate about helping youth. I used to be a mentor for bullied youth back in CA. I would go to all the middle schools in my district and speak in front of the students about bullying and what I went through when I was younger. I love to help kids and make sure that they are safe and cared about. I think it is a huge reason why I want to become a teacher. Topic 2:  I would say that my 3 main sources of information are facebook, youtube, and hear say. I am guilty of being on facebook everyday and always checking for new things that were uploaded on youtube. I don't think tha